“WE SHALL OVERCOME” – Occupy Wall Street is Chanting, but not in Zuccotti Park.
Police began clearing out Zuccotti Park last night at around 1am with the Department of Sanitation going Mr. Clean on the Park, and the Protesters. Apparently their were growing concerns over the ‘dirty’ little playground that Zuccotti Park has become- particularly with alleged drug-usage and overall, sanitation, safety, and health hazards.
The protesters are continuing to try and Occupy the Park, with a temporary gathering in and around City Hall and Foley Square as Mayor Bloomberg addresses the eviction this morning. Occupy Wall Street says it is not giving up on the cause, with some Native New Yorkers (and I would assume, Wall Streeters) are applauding the clearing of the Park, and the cause!
The question becomes, Now What?! Hopefully a physical eviction is not an eviction of the force behind #OWS (Occupy Wall Street).
UPDATE: NEW YORK JUDGE TO ALLOW THE PROTESTERS TO RE-OCCUPY WALL STREET (ZUCCOTTI PARK) UNTIL AN ORDER TO SHOW CAUSE (New York City Must Argue Why It Evicted Occupy Wall Street) is heard in Court at 11:30am!
UPDATE: JUDGE TELL #OWS TO KEEP TENTS AT PARENTS HOME BUT ALLOWS DAY-PROTESTING TO CONTINUE.
- 70 Arrested As Police Move In To Clear Zuccotti Park (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- OCCUPY WALL STREET: NYPD IN THE PROCESS EVICTING SQUATTERS (It’s About Time!) (pumabydesign001.wordpress.com)
- NY Daily News: Hundreds of NYPD cops surround Zuccotti Park and order Occupy Wall Street protesters to clear out (openletternews.org)
- Occupy Wall Street eviction: live (telegraph.co.uk)
- Police Clear Zuccotti Park (online.wsj.com)
- Police move in to evict Occupy protesters from New York park (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Occupy Wall Street Protesters Ordered To Temporarily Leave Zuccotti Park (huffingtonpost.com)
- Thank you for the picture: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/nyregion/police-begin-clearing-zuccotti-park-of-protesters.html